Saturday, February 21, 2015

Photo Editing


Animated GIF of my dog Maddie, created with my own personal photos. 

Collage of images I manipulated using my own photo in Photoshop. 

I have never animated a GIF before. It is very easy to do. While making this GIF, it occurred to me that an animated GIF would be a create way to introduce a new technique to my students, so that they may understand the steps involved. For example, my fifth grade students are learning to weave using yarn. I could photograph each step and animate it. Then during class I could play the GIF as I describe each step. This idea could also work in reverse. As my students create their weaving, they could photograph their progress. The images could be animated, and they could describe the steps themselves, showing their own learning of the technique. Using an animated GIF is much more exciting than a typical slideshow. Students will also see the steps in succession, without the delays of a live demonstration, or the editing needed in a video. They could replay the GIF while the work if it was posted in an accessible place for them. 
The main issue with this process is that I do not have permanent access to Photoshop, nor do my students. However, we could try the free app Gimp. I really like how simple creating GIF's is, and I think that since it is a quick process students would enjoy it as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment